A BIT ABOUT US
The Belton Church of God was birthed out of a tent revival near the edge of the mill village in 1921. Nettie Hanvey, Myrtle Whitehead, Ed Johnson, and the District Overseer were the Evangelists. At the close of this revival the Belton Church of God was organized and Nettie Hanvey was appointed to serve as Pastor.
In the early years of the Belton Church of God, Mrs. Jessie Banister used her home to host regular services for Pastor L. H. Powell. Through the years, Myrtle Whitehead, Pauline Jackson and Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Hanvey assisted the Belton Church of God.
The “First” official Church of God in Belton was built on a vacant lot on Shirley Street while the red house on Shirley Street served as the church’s parsonage. In 1964, during W. R. Craven’s second tenure as Pastor, the Belton Church of God was built at our present location of 313 North Main Street.